February 7, 2008

You know what really grinds my gears?

The fact that I give a good portion of my paycheck to welfare and medicaid/medicare. Now I have no problem contributing to these causes as the health of the nation is really dependent on how well we take care of poor and elderly. But it really grinds my gears that to receive my paycheck I have to submit to a random drug testing program and a pre-employment drug screen whereas if I wanted to just quit this job and pick up welfare the thought of drug testing wouldn't even be an issue. Its completely unfair that the providers of this system are subject to invasion of personal privacy and that the recipients are not held to the same level of accountability.

Now this has been tried before and in 1993 the Supreme Court decided that Michigan's drug testing program was illegal if the disbursement of welfare was dependent on a clean drug screen. And I know that although this sounds like a decent idea the real problems lies in the fact that if drug screening for welfare was put into place there would be a lot of hungry children. It would also create an air of suspicion and cause people to avoid the help and look to other ways to support themselves (and what do you think the next industry a drug user is going to try?).

Sphere: Related Content

0 comments: